help with screen resolution settings

Duncan Lithgow duncan at lithgow-schmidt.dk
Fri Jun 16 09:40:51 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 10:17 -0500, Ken N9VV wrote:
> Hi, I have looked all over the web and Ubuntu Help and can't find out
> how to get my systemn --> preferences --> screen resolution to pick up
> on all the possibilities for my video card and monitor. I found the
> 915resolution -l command and generated a nice output, but I can't find a
> way to get xorg.conf to pick up all these higher resolution modes.
> Somehow it is stuck at 1024x768x32
> any suggestions?

Here's the help I got:

You're going to have to edit your xorg.conf file and add them. It's a
little annoying that it doesnt always detect all of them

Code:
--------------------
   sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
--------------------

checkout this section

Code:
       SubSection "Display"

               Depth           24

               Modes           "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600"
"640x480"

       EndSubSection

and just add the resolutions you need.

next time you restart X, it should work for you. if not, do you have
the best driver available?