Why Different Commands ?

Chanchao custom at freenet.de
Thu Jun 15 09:41:54 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 14:34 +0530, Vilas Sukhadeve wrote:

> I am used to Ubuntu 5.10 for almost an year and I despise using MS
> programmes. I am not any software man rather I am "computer
> illiterate".And whenever I faced any problem with operating any
> programme, all of you have helped me. This is very nice with, I will
> call our community. (I wanted to make our community bold but in
> Evolution these icons are not functioning, can anybody tell me how to
> activate them ?)

Sure.  "Normal" plain text email is just text, no formatting whatsoever,
so all the functions for bold, font type/size/color and so on just don't
apply.

However, you can also send email in HTML format. After changing the
format to HTML, the buttons for formatting then become active. (When
writing the email, go to the 'Format' menu and select HTML)

WORD OF WARNING though: A lot of people don't like receiving e-mail in
anything but plain text.   HTML encourages bloated emails and too much
formatting, making things harder to read..  (Ever receive an email with
300 smileys jumping up and down...)

Especially for posts to mailing lists, using HTML is usually not
appreciated.   This may be a losing battle though, I may just be
old-fashioned in these things.

> Here I would like to know why different commands have to be used in
> Terminal. e.g. sudo, apt-get, chmod, mkdir, #, I know only these
> commands so far. What these different commands stand for ? If you feel
> this is just child like query but still as a responsible parent please
> tell me just for my information.

Terminal commands are a different way of using/managing your computer.
25 years ago, there basically WERE NO nice graphical environments with
things to click.. Everything was text-based, and doing anything required
typing commands.

Even today, especially in the Unix/Linux world, when you have to do
certain advanced things, often the only (or best) way is to use terminal
commands. There's LOADS of them.

The ones you mention (sudo, apt-get, chmod and mkdir) can also be
handled in the graphical environment just fine, so chances are that
terminal commands will be used less and less.  Still the tendency on
this forum is to answer a question 'the terminal command way'.  Partly
this is because the most knowledgeable people seem to prefer the
terminal, partly it's because it's a lot easier/shorter to explain
something in email using terminal commands, which are after all also
text.   Suppose I had to explain how to change file permissions.. Just
writing 'chmod 755' is easier then writing the whole story of
right-clicking a folder, selecting 'properties', then go to the
'permissions' tab, then check the box for.... etc.

However personally I wish people would explain the graphical way
whenever possible. I always try to explain things using the graphical
user interface whenever possible, even when it's more work to type! (And
to read.. :)

Cheers,
Chanchao