Synaptec connection problem

Sauli ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Thu Jun 15 07:59:47 UTC 2006

Problem solved.

The problem was caused by an http_proxy environment variable. I tried
to remove it by 'env -u http_proxt' but I noticed that it was
automatically reset back to 'http_proxy=http://localhost:8080/'. Next I
noticed that in System -> Preferences -> Network Proxy I had 'Manual
proxy configuration' set. I changed it to 'Direct Internet Connection'.
I removed again the http_proxy environment variable but to my surprise
it was still automatically reset. Next I logged off and when I logged
back I could see that I didn't have the http_proxy environment variable
set anymore. After this synaptic as well as apt-get seems to work fine.

I still don't know how the 'Manual proxy configuration' got set in the
Network Proxy settings. I can't remember doing anything special at
dapper upgrade where it should have been set. So I can't say what
originally caused the problem but now the problem has been removed and
that is what counts for me.

Sauli

--
Sauli