Can't Upgrade to Dapper

Matthew Kuiken matt.kuiken at verizon.net
Thu Jun 15 06:00:49 UTC 2006

Faithful John wrote:
> I was trying to resolve some problems and hoping maybe they got fixed on
> Dapper, anyway, when I use the update manager it reads
>
> "Error during update
> A problem occured during the update.   This is usually some sort of
> network
> problem, please check your network connection and retry."
>
> Then in a box it reads the following twice.
>
> "Failed to fetch
> http://people.ubuntu.com/~doko/OOo2/./Packages.gzSub-process gzip
> returned an error code (1)"
>
> There is nothing wrong with my connection, so what's going on?  And
> how does
> one solve it?
> -f.j.

This is just a guess, but it looks like you probably installed the
Breezy OOo2 packages from doko's repo.  I personally would recommend
removing those packages, and remove the repository from your
/etc/apt/sources.list file.  My guess by the error message above is that
the repo is gone.  Just removing the line from the sources.list file
might do the trick.  I feel that there are more chances for conflicts
during the upgrade if you leave the packages installed, though.

You may want to install ubuntu-desktop if you removed it previously (or
kubuntu-desktop if you use KDE).  I believe that parts of the upgrade
will go easier if that package is installed.

-Matt