tweaking new dell laptop: "Fn" keys and system beep

Matt Price matt.price at utoronto.ca
Thu Jun 15 01:16:26 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 07:06:28PM -0400, Jaime Davila wrote:
> matt.price at utoronto.ca wrote:
> >Quoting John DeCarlo <johndecarlo at gmail.com>:

> >>matt,
> >>
> >>I haven't followed the latest developments, but I have used the package
> >>"lineakd" for the extra Dell keys.  It is in Ubuntu "universe" repository.
> >>

> >THanks John.  I think that lineakd only works with keys that generate
> >keystroke
> >events, which (if I'm correct) the most important "Fn" keys don't seem to
> >do. Instead, the latter create acpi events, which are monitored and
> >intercepted by
> >acpid.  What I want to do is to find out what happens to the "standby"
> >(="suspend-to-ram") command after I press the standby key.  It seems that
> >it's
> >not being received, since when I hit "echo "men" > /sys/power/state" I can
> >in
> >fact make the computer suspend to ram.
>
> Have you looked at /var/log/acpid ?

Hi Haime,

actually I missed your first email as I couldn't get mutt working on
htel aptop and my webmail doesn't have a thread view (gnashing of
teeth...).  I have now looked at /var/log/acpid and am geting much
closer -- will explain in thenext email.

Matt

Matt Price	    matt.price at utoronto.ca
History Department, University of Toronto
(416) 978-2094