Ubuntu Server 6.06 LTS as an NFS Server - Good idea?

Erik Forsberg forsberg at cendio.se
Wed Jun 14 12:50:13 UTC 2006

Hi!

I have an NFS file server (also serving mail and an intranet) running
Red Hat Linux 9. It's been on my need-an-upgrade list for a while
now, for obvious reasons :-).

I'm considering Ubuntu Server as replacement OS, already running
Ubuntu on several machines ranging from my personal laptop to our
dedicate 64bit testing machine as well as my personal web server. I'm
very happy with Ubuntu so far.

My question here is if serving files via NFS is on the list of things
that Ubuntu Server is meant to be used for? Are there people in the
Ubuntu community that cares about the nfs-utils and the various kernel
parameters/patches that might be needed for good NFS operation?

Regards,
\EF
--
Erik Forsberg                OpenSource-based Thin Client Technology
Systems Analyst/Developer    Phone: +46-13-21 46 00