Package/Build-From-Source Management

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Wed Jun 14 10:55:58 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 14 June 2006 02:35, bivanda at safe-mail.net wrote:
> In short, we are considering here a class of applications that
> derives little or no benefit from any tight logical and operational
> integration with the operating system, and are wondering if there
> is any source of further information on how to go about packaging
> and deploying such applications.

FHS (Filesystem Hierarchy Standard) covers this and other deployment
techniques:

/usr/local/ is for stuff you compile on the machine yourself. It has
lib/, share/ and other sub-dirs in the same structure as the
main /usr.

You want to put your stuff in /opt which is specifically for optional
third party binaries. If the app is called MyApp, then
create /opt/myapp and put everything under that directory, in much
the same style as Windows and OSX do it. You can accomplish this by
compiling the app statically and tarring everything into a tarball
which is extracted to /opt.

If you want the app to be available system-wide you will need to
become root to update PATH and other relevant env vars. If the app is
to run as a specific user, then a script can update the same things
in his .bashrc

--
If only me, you and dead people understand hex,
how many people understand hex?

Alan McKinnon
alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za