Package/Build-From-Source Management

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Tue Jun 13 17:54:34 UTC 2006

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 13:28:17 -0400
David Abrahams <dave at boost-consulting.com> wrote:

> Well, I hate to say it, but it's no wonder people struggle with
> Linux.  I don't think I've ever had a Linux system where the package
> management system didn't end up in some horribly wedged state from
> which I couldn't figure out how to recover.  There's gotta be a better
> way of doing this stuff.

Seems to work fine here...

If you go outside the package management system, of course, then you are
venturing into territory that requires you to have an understanding of the
possible consequences.

In general having things installed in /usr/local should not affect the
package manager "per se", but you can't expect apt, dpkg and friends to
know what's there unless you tell it ( hence for example checkinstall ).

There's a menu editor include under Accessories for your custom commands
or to add entries for packages that are not yet fully compliant with the
freedesktop specs.

It isn't magic, unfortunately.

Peter

--