Problem upgrading locales

Florian Diesch diesch at spamfence.net
Mon Jun 12 21:59:03 UTC 2006

"Low Kian Seong" <ubuntu.low at gmail.com> wrote:

> I get this error while trying to upgrade dapper :

> Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
> WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
>   wpasupplicant
> Install these packages without verification [y/N]? y
> Get:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com dapper/universe ifrename 27+28pre13-1ubuntu2
> [52.5kB]
> Get:2 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com dapper/main x-window-system-core
> 7.0.0-0ubuntu45 [9180B]
> Fetched 61.7kB in 11s (5224B/s)
> Extracting templates from packages: 100%
> Preconfiguring packages ...
> (Reading database ... 63958 files and directories currently installed.)
> Preparing to replace locales 2.3.6-3 (using .../locales_2.3.18_all.deb) ...
> Unpacking replacement locales ...
> dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/locales_2.3.18_all.deb
> (--unpack):
>  trying to overwrite `/usr/share/i18n/locales/en_AU', which is also in package
> language-pack-en-base
> dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
>  /var/cache/apt/archives/locales_2.3.18_all.deb
>
> Has anyone else faced the same error or better can anyone offer a solution ?

language-pack-en-base in Dapper doesn't contain
/usr/share/i18n/locales/en_AU so it seems to be a conflict between
the old language-pack-en-base and the new locales. Upgrading
language-pack-en-base before upgrading locales should help.

update-manager -d should take care about this (if not file a bug).

   Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>