Two instances of OpenOffice on thin clients.

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Tue Jun 13 14:46:32 UTC 2006

Hi Oliver,

Oliver Grawert wrote:
> dont do that, neither openoffice nor firefox are ready for it. either
> use an account per client to work around it or use an account per
> student. we're looking for a solution for that but its not easy and
> might still take until edgy+2

I found a way to do it that creates roughly 1MB of overhead per client.
Essentially I could have many directories like so:

/opt/openoffice/001
/opt/openoffice/002

Each would be packed with symlinks to /usr/lib/openoffice/. The only
files that would not be symlinked would be program/soffice*. Then write
a wrapper script that picks a different one for each client.

Does this setup have any problems that I can't see? It seems to work.

Cheers,
Daniel.
--
"It's like a rainbow. Without an observer at a 23 degree angle to
the light reflected a cloud of spherical droplets, there is no