Difference between Spatial/Browser modes in Nautilus

Albert Wagner albertwagner at cox.net
Tue Jun 13 08:50:46 UTC 2006

Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 16:00 -0500, Albert Wagner wrote:
>> I have no File Management entry in the System > Preferences menu.
>>
>> All I have is the "Always open in Browser windows" check box at
>> Nautilus
>>  > Edit > Preferences > Behavior.
>
> Ok, the two are equivalent. The entry in the Preferences is hidden by
> default (and can be made visible with Alacarte menu editor in
> Applications/Accessories)

Yes. I see. I now have it visible in Applications > SystemTools.

> I'd like you to check if there are weird gconf entries. Start
> gconf-editor (Applications/System Tools/Configuration Editor, this is
> also hidden by default - you can also run gconf-editor from a terminal
> or the Alt+F2 run dialog).
> Navigate to /apps/nautilus/preferences. Please check the state of the
> keys always_use_browser and no_ubuntu_spatial.

keys_always_use_browser stays in sync with Nautilus > Edit > Preferences
 > Behavior and is now unmarked.

no_ubuntu_spatial is now marked because I noted that it apparently
controls whether or not a new window erases it's parent, and for the
time being I prefer not to erase parents.

The main reason that Spatial Mode appeared not to work was that I was
starting Nautilus by clicking on the File Manager icon, which always
starts in Browser mode.  When I start Nautilus by clicking on an item in
Places then it starts up in Spatial Mode.

Thank you very much for your patience and excellent help.

BTW, Have you ever used ROX-Filer?  It is very like Nautilus Spatial
Mode.  They have built a complete desktop around it.  I utilized it on
all of my LFS systems.  It is quite addictive, so I was delighted to
discover that Nautilus has Spatial Mode.

Thanks again,
Albert