Unable to get dri enabled

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Tue Jun 13 13:12:31 UTC 2006

> I've been trying to enable direct rendering, but so far
> nothing works.
> ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R250 Lf [FireGL 9000] (rev 02)
> My system is:
> Linux jjod600n 2.6.15-23-686 #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue May 23
> So, does anyone have any clue to what goes wrong in my
> system? I'd appreciate all hints and tips. Thanks a lot in
> advance! :)

The other day a similar thread came up, and apparently it turns out that
the problem is that ATI pretty much purposefully obsoleted many "old"
cards... artificial hardware regressions built-in to force you to buy a
newer card.... what else :-/
My card (Radeon 9250 Pro), suffers this regression, so I too am unable
to use the fglrx driver... :-/
ATI seems to have a bug tracker system and people have complained about
this bad move from ATI. So all we can do is hope that ATI will listen,
and eventually release an updated driver soon, which will bring back
support for these "old" cards... which aren't so old, considering I
bought mine brand new only 3 months ago !! :-O

OTOH, for the short time that I was able to use this fglrx driver, a
couple month ago, it had severe problems which make it unusable anyway
(crashes every now and then, plus some screen corruption, plus other
inconveniences) so I guess it's not that much of a loss in the end..

The free "Radeon" driver seemed stable and glitch free, but it managed 3
FPS or so, where fglrx managed 60, so in practice it's not usable
either...

I tried an Nvidia card (on-board GeForce2, but the picture is very
blurry and the driver is so unstable it looked like pre-alpha software.

People keeps saying how Nvidia drivers are marvelous, so I wondered if
maybe I had H/W problems of some kind (motherboard AGP port or
whatever), but a quick test under windows showed that no, the hardware
is perfectly stable and working.

So it's indeed the binary Linux drivers that are just crap, period. :-/

--
Vince, hoping Linux market share increases fast, so H/W vendors start
making good quality drivers...