Installing in existing LVM Volume Group?

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Mon Jun 12 22:37:46 UTC 2006

On Monday 12 June 2006 23:48, Dick Davies wrote:
> > Your mistrust of grub is misplaced :-)
> > grub reads from and grub-install writes to /boot/grub/*. That
> > will happen whether it's a separate partition or not.
>
> Yes, but does grub understand LVM logical volumes?
> Support has been flaky at best in the past (and if you're using
> rescue CDs etc, it's even less likely to work).

That would be the third valid case for a separate /boot.

I've never had the need to do it myself, but I have heard that booting
off LVM volumes can be done, and requires serious voodoo in the
initrd. Much easier to simply have what grub wants on a separate
partition, right?

--
If only me, you and dead people understand hex,
how many people understand hex?

Alan McKinnon
alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za