mysterious partition deletion

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Mon Jun 12 19:39:17 UTC 2006

On Monday 12 June 2006 20:03, Michael V. De Palatis wrote:

> I would certainly like to be able to recreate the partitions, but
> unfortunately, I did not ever have a record of where these start
> positions were. Needless to say, from now on I will be documenting
> this very information.

Linux to the rescue yet again:

Boot from a LiveCD and start fdisk or any partitioning tool. Write
down the current partition table for the disk. Now sit back and
recall how big the deleted partitions were. It's probable that they
were nice round numbers like 20G etc.

Now recreate partitions using the sizes you recall. One by one try to
mount them read only with option '-o ro'. If they mount, then you got
the start/end correct. Repeat for all partitions.

If you make a total hash of it, just remake the partitions using the
same program you used to record the sizes in step #1. Making
partitions doesn't write to the data on the partition itself, it only
manipulates the partition tables. So as long as you don't mkfs you
should be ok.

As I see it you have nothing to lose except time (and data you think
you have already lost), so treat this as a good way to learn more.
You might even get lucky.

--
If only me, you and dead people understand hex,
how many people understand hex?

Alan McKinnon
alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za