Meaning of Server vs. Desktop versions of Ubuntu Dapper Long-Term-Support

John Schofield schoflist at dakim.com
Mon Jun 12 20:56:44 UTC 2006

Apparently I can't read.

So Dapper Desktop will be supported for 3 years and Dapper Server
will be supported for 5 years. This is great news. (And I did read
that somewhere, and apparently just mangled the figures in my head.)

However, my original question (quoted below with corrections in
brackets) still stands. How do I differentiate which packages get 3
years of support and which get 5?

> As I understand it, the Desktop version of Ubuntu Dapper LTS will
> be supported for [3 years], while the Server version of Dapper will
> be supported for [5 years].
>
> What exactly does this mean? For instance, I'm pretty sure that the
> default install from the server CD would be supported for [5
> years]. What if I install ubuntu-desktop on top of a server
> install? Those packages are probably only supported for [3 years].
> But how do I know, when I'm planning a server rollout, exactly what
> packages will be supported for how long? Are all command-line apps
> considered "Server" while all GUI's are considered "Desktop?" Where
> is the boundary between the two?

Thanks very much!

John