Wine: MS Money 2004 + IE6

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Jun 12 12:54:59 UTC 2006

Ylan Segal wrote:

> Derek Broughton wrote:

>> This all got me working a little harder on my own wine problem.  Here's a
>> solution that seems to be working for me (very similar situation, but I'm
>> using Quicken).
>>
>> - download ies4linux
>> - install ie6 from ies4linux
>> - Create ~/.wine as a symlink to ~/.ies4linux/ie6
>> - just to be safe, I've also added
>>    export WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.ies4linux/ie6
>>   to my ~/.bashrc
>> - install other Windows software
>>
>> ie6 works, and I have managed to get BridgeBase installed and working in
>> the same bottle, but I don't actually have my Quicken CD with me, so that
>> will
>> have to wait until tomorrow.  I hope it's fixed, because I need to get
>> the company books done this weekend :-)
>
> Yeah, I need to get Money working ASAP too. Otherwise, accounting will
> pile up and it will be a nightmare. If my current Crossover trial fails,
> I will try the method described above.

So I did install Quicken into that bottle, and everything is working well
for me, finally.

> On an unrelated topic, since I downloaded IE6 now like 20 times (for
> each install) I noticed that the download speed under Ubuntu is about
> twice as fast as Windows (same machine, same network, same ISP, etc).
> Has anyone else noticed this before?

Yes, and no.  I find it very hard to measure download speeds using repeated
downloads of the same file, because of caching at various points in my
networks.  I've had NICs that were much slower in Linux (pre-Ubuntu) than
Windows, and others that perform very well in Linux, so sometimes it's a
driver issue.
--
derek