mysterious partition deletion

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Sun Jun 11 22:04:07 UTC 2006

On Sunday 11 June 2006 22:50, Michael V. De Palatis wrote:
> List,
>
> I was trying to get windows reinstalled for a dual boot so that I
> can play games (I had no luck with wine, unfortunately). When I got
> to the windows installer, it only showed one partition for some
> reason on one of my disks, and sure enough, booting back into
> Ubuntu, it seems that the other three got erased somehow!
>
> I didn't ever tell it to erase anything, so I'm very confused as to
> what happened. Is there any chance that I can recover some of this
> data, and if so how?

Becuase you say "one of my disks" I'm assuming that it isn't your main
disk where Windows is loaded. If this is true, and if nothing on
those disks is required for Windows, you could try using fdisk and
recreate the partitons exactly as they were - same start positions,
same sizes. If the contents of the partitions weren't changed
meanwhile, the data should all still be there.

--
If only me, you and dead people understand hex,
how many people understand hex?

Alan McKinnon
alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za