Firefox 1.504...

Matthew Kuiken matt.kuiken at verizon.net
Mon Jun 12 06:41:02 UTC 2006

an.echte.trilingue wrote:
> As I understand it, they did not upgrade before because 1.5 does not use
> the same files for things like bookmarks and so on.  So, while it is
> nice to have the latest and greatest, if you do not care about that and
> just want a system that works, you would be angry when you tried to surf
> the net you discovered that an upgrade had just wiped away all your
> carefully bookmarked pages.
>

> Now, they used the opportunity of the new release to put it in.
>

> It's not like they did anything to stop people from installing 1.5 if
> they wanted it.

As I understand it from the discussion on -devel, the Mozilla people are
not going to be doing security updates for 1.0.8 anymore.  Figuring out
which patches apply to the old versions, and then applying them, testing
them, and deploying them would be so difficult that the upgrade to 1.5
is easier to integrate.  Thus, the reason for the update is to move to a
version that will still be receiving security updates.

-Matt