Ubuntu Dapper and WebMin

Nik nik at cheddarcheese.de
Sun Jun 11 17:18:39 UTC 2006

In article <nigel.298avb at gs1.ubuntuforums.org>,
   nigel <ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org> wrote:

> I will prove my ignorance here

So will I...

> how do I download the webmin package to my server, I did the lamp
> install

I don't really know what this means!
Presumably you mean a Server install?
The current webmin is available here:
http://internap.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/webadmin/webmin-1.270.tar.gz

Download this file and then issue the following commands:

[root at yourhost /tmp]# gunzip webmin-1.270.tar.gz
[root at yourhost /tmp]# tar xf webmin-1.270.tar
[root at yourhost /tmp]# cd webmin-1.270
[root at yourhost /tmp/webmin-1.270]# ./setup.sh /usr/local/webmin

Answer the questions - I think it autodetects Ubuntu - if it fails to
install, it should; hopefully, tell you what is missing.
What might be missing from your setup is perl, if so issue this first:

[root at yourhost /tmp]# aptitude install perl

For more help see:
http://webmin.com/download.html

Hope this helps,
Nik