Installation problems(Dapper Drake)

moka at hol.gr moka at hol.gr
Sun Jun 11 16:49:05 UTC 2006

Ok, I'm new to Ubuntu; this is my first try, though I've used Slack and Suse
for
 some 10 years now. I recently had  a  crash which destroyed  the first hard
disk. Luckily I also have 2 more systems on my PC and  I backup from each one
to the others. So hda was gone, but I had 2 more systems, one Slack, one Suse.
 I could not boot, of course , as MBR was destroyed, so I set the CD-R as
master
 and booted from SUSE CDs.
Now I got a new disk,  and I want to install Kubuntu.
So I  set
/dev/hdb1 ->/boot
/dev/hdb2 ->/root
/dev/hdb3->/home

for Ununtu
(also have /dev/hdc1 ->swap
/dev/hdc2-> /root
/dev/hdc3 /home for Suse

and /dev/hdd1 /root Slack
/dev/hdd2 /home Slack

I tried installing Kubuntu,
 first I had problems, which I solved by making / bootable and ext3 instead of
reiser

I did not get any choice what kernel to install (2.6.11-2.6.15), though kubuntu
has them all, and neither did I get a choice for grub vs lilo
so I was asked where to put grub and typed (hd0), and on reboot I got
Waiting for device /dev/hdb2 to appear: ok
rootfs major=3 minor=66 devn=834
Mounting root /dev/hdb2
 mount: no such device
umount2: Device or resource busy
kernel panic -not synicing: Attempted to kill init!

Can I get this to work without rewiring the hds?