How to open a port?

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Sun Jun 11 16:46:30 UTC 2006

Hello,

I want to allow remote X connections. Could someone tell me how to open
UDP port 177 or TCP port 6000?

I tried using iptables:

iptables -A INPUT -p udp -i eth1 --dport 177 -j ACCEPT

But this didn't work:
* The Ubuntu 'scan' program (System > Admin > Network tools) didn't see
that port open.
* I can't establish a remote X session.

Could someone tell me how to open those ports in Ubuntu?

Thanks,
Daniel.
--
"It's like a rainbow. Without an observer at a 23 degree angle to
the light reflected a cloud of spherical droplets, there is no