vmware deb

Paul Kaplan pkaplan1 at comcast.net
Sun Jun 11 10:45:18 UTC 2006

On Sunday 11 June 2006 04:11, paul cooke wrote:
> On Saturday 10 June 2006 19:13, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> > On Sat, 2006-06-10 at 14:04 -0400, Paul Kaplan wrote:
> > > I'm using the full version of 5.5.1 workstation
> >
> > Does the installation process involve a "make install"? If so, you
> > should look into the package checkinstall. You'd call it as
> > "checkinstall make install", and it would record where the files would
> > be installed, and create a deb that does exactly this.
>
> how does that cope when you get a kernel change? cos vmWare basically has
> to be "reinstalled" whenever you change the kernel. A deb would just be a
> pre-compiled form of vmware and you would have to go to the trouble of
> making a fresh deb and installing it when there's a kernel upgrade.
>
> That's fine when you're a sys-admin responsible for several installations
> and you're running a local repository for all your installations to upgrade
> against, but for the average home or SoHo user, it's too much hassle...
> it's far easier to just run the vmware script that it asks you to run after
> any updates that break it.
I think it's always easier to have a package.  In any case, once vmware is
installed on your system, you don't have to reinstall it to handle kernel
upgrades.  You do have to reconfigure however, since vmware installs modules.
Using a deb wouldn't eliminate this need.  I'm willing to bet that using a
tar.gz would be the same, it's just that using a deb makes in cleaner and
faster to remove if you should so choose.