Encrypted Dapper filesystems?

pulver ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Sat Jun 10 13:37:33 UTC 2006

Daniel Carrera wrote:

>This can be minimized if you only encrypt personal files and not

>programs. Really, why should I care if Gnome and OpenOffice are

>encrypted? It's my data that is private. And my data has the least

>impact on performance (OpenOffice takes more disk space than my
documents).

Yes, but personally I don't care much about small performence losses,
and do encrypt everything. You were the one mentioning threat models,
the fbi, mafia...

Besides encrypting my private files, I also at least want to encrypt
swap and tmp. Besides that one want to make sure that the system
binaries haven't been tampered with. Encrypting everything is an easy
approach to get one step further in that direction.

Pupeno wrote:

>Another Cons: Maintainance is harder, booting up a LiveCD and you
won't

>be able to just mount like you do with other partitions.

>I mention this because it happened to me yesterday.

True, I did also mentioned it in my first post :cool:

--
pulver