Dapper and Edimax EW-7128g

Toby Kelsey toby_kelsey at ntlworld.com
Sat Jun 10 10:39:31 UTC 2006

I would like to upgrade to Dapper but I need to avoid any possibility of my home
machine losing it's wireless internet access.

In my experience of Linux install programs, they inevitably screw up your
existing partitions or grub installation without asking.  So the safe approach
is to install Dapper on a separate partition without using a gui-fied install
program and add it to my existing grub menu, so I can test out the install and
network access before switching permanently.  However my attempts to do this
with debootstrap just lead to an error message I reported previously ("Begin:
Waiting for root file system") which has no apparent fix.

It seems the upgrade methods chosen by Ubuntu do not allow me a safe way of
upgrading.

The only way forward is to bite the bullet and install over my working system.
Before I do that I want to check whether my wireless hardware is known to work
with Dapper.  I have an Edimax EW-7128g (M code: EW-7122/8G) wireless card,
accessing a Linksys WRT54G router with upgraded firmware.  Is anyone using
Dapper successfully with this hardware?

Toby