Encrypted Dapper filesystems?

Pupeno pupeno at pupeno.com
Sat Jun 10 09:54:23 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-09 at 23:19 -0700, Carlos Picazzo wrote:
> Recently, I've been thinking more seriously about re-installing my
> laptop and setting up the filesystems on a Dapper install to be
> encrypted.  Does anyone have any pros/cons/suggestions about doing
> this?
Since I bought a notebook I've been running an encrypted filesystem. I
encrypted /home. I didn't worry about / or swap. What I want to avoid is
the average script kiddie being able to impersonate me if the have my
notebook. Encrypting / makes it much harder.
The only problems I've found with encrypted file system is being able to
access it when, for example, I started my computer with a LiveCD to do
some repairing. But that is negligible (compared to the comfort that I
don't have to store my notebook in a safebox).
--
Pupeno <pupeno at pupeno.com> http://pupeno.com