Thunderbird preferences

frank mccormick fmccormick at videotron.ca
Fri Jun 9 18:14:51 UTC 2006

Jaime Davila wrote:

> frank mccormick wrote:
>
>>> Did it fail to open firefox when clicking on the same link that
>>> worked properly when firefox was open? I just ask in case there's
>>> something strange with the url link.
>>>

>>    Yes, the same linked worked when FF was open, and didn't when it
>> wasn't.  It seems the last time I used T'bird ( a few years ago) I had
>> to resort to the script.
>>

> I'm not sure what to say about that. It does open firefox for me, if
> it's closed. The only thing I can think is for you to start thunderbird
> from a terminal, to see if any error messages are displayed there when
> the link fails to open.
>
> Sorry!

   Did a web search and found some good references to the problem - and
solved it by starting FF, going to preferences, general and setting FF
to be the default browser. T'bird now starts it properly.
   However I think this is excessively complicated. If the user_pref's
are set why does FF need to be the default browser, and if it is then
why are the user pref's needed ?  Oh well. Works now.

Thanks and Cheers

Frank