ISO 8859-1 on Ubuntu 6.0.6

Gary W. Swearingen garys at opusnet.com
Fri Jun 9 16:48:19 UTC 2006

Roland Turcan <konf at rotursoft.sk> writes:

> Can somebody explain me, that how to install ISO-8859 character set?
>
> We are using in Ubuntu 5.1 "sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales" where we
> can select de_DE.ISO-8859, but this command works in 6.0.6
> differently and we don't have any chance to select.
>
> Without ISO-8859-1 our application shows german special "umlaute" as
> question mark and it cannot be.

No answer here, but a couple of comments:

You might prefer 8859-15, which is very similar to -1, but has "euro".

Your problem might be using a font which doesn't support "umlaute".

As far as I know (not far), Ubuntu (Gnome?) uses the UTF-8 character
set, which surely has an umlaute character, whether or not a
particular font supports it.  Of course, your application might use a
different char set like 8859-1, like any web browser must do.  Sorry,
I don't know how the mapping between char sets and fonts occurs in the
OS or your ap nor how they're configured.