Wine: MS Money 2004 + IE6

Ylan Segal ylan.segal at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 12:46:37 UTC 2006

Norman Silverstone wrote:
>>Hmm.. I am not really interested in IE per se, I just need Money 2004
>>and that is not a supported app in Crossover (as far as I can tell) so I
>>don't know it would be worth it.
>

> Why not try it? You can download a free trial of Crossover which lasts a
> month, ample time to try I would have thought.

Progress Report :

I followed Alan's and Norman's advice and installed Crossover:

- First try: Installed crossover and tried to install Money 2004, which
in turn tries to install IE6 and fails.
- Second try: Installed IE6 first (supported by crossover) without any
problems and then Money on the same bottle. Result: Money installs but
running it says there is a missing dll. I copy that over from the cd.
Money now complains that there is a cryptographic error. I trace that
back to IE6 faulty install.
- Third try: New bottle, IE6 install, Money install. Result: Apparent
success. Money runs and I can open and use my file (It crashes once will
changing accounts). So far so good: Next I try to use online banking and
in the process, Money downloads updates from the Internet. After that
Money won't work: It starts and immediately I get a message stating an
error (with no specifics) and prompting to restart Money. This happens
over and over and over.

So at this point, I figure I really made some progress, and the problem
lies with Money trying to download updates automatically.

- Fourth try (this morning): New wine version available, install that.
Create new bottle and install IE6. Try to install Money, but that fails.
Hmm... it worked yesterday.
- Fifth try: Same as above, it worked yesterday, so it should work
today... still fails.

So, I am thinking that the Money install failure is now related to the
new wine version.

- Sixth try: Roll back wine to ubuntu's latest version. Create new
bottle, install IE6, ran out of time! This weekend I plan to try
installing Money in that bottle again and hopefully it will work.

I will keep you guys posted, and thanks for the help.

--
Ylan

"The universe is not required to be in
perfect harmony with human ambition"