Compiling a dapper kernel

Cameron Hutchison lists at xdna.net
Fri Jun 9 05:51:19 UTC 2006

I want to recompile my kernel for a couple of reasons:

1) Add support for my DVB-T card (which is just one line in each of two
tables to map the card id to the appropriate driver)

2) Build a leaner kernel that does not take up approx 80MB of my small
root filesystem.

Is there a wiki page or something similar that describes that kernel
options the Ubuntu kernel needs to have - eg. does it depend on a
framebuffer and which one (for the graphical boot) - are certain things
required to be modules or can I build most stuff in, etc?

I'll probably get there with trial and error, but it would be nice to
have a heads-up before I start.

Thanks.