Dapper upgrade from Breezy

Charlie Kravetz cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
Fri Jun 9 03:14:40 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-08 at 19:03 -0400, Me - Atlantic wrote:
> [snip]
> .
>
> > Hmmm... I don't know what to suggest. If you hadn't said "production
> > server" I would have said "yes, definitely upgrade". Truth is that the
> > chances of something going wrong are small.
> so, all of the traffic with upgrade problems is unsubstantiated?
>
> > The upgrade from Breezy to Dapper _is_ supported.
> I did see the dist upgrade on my update manager this morning (there was
> a tiff lib upgrade available for breezy), but after that upgrade was
> installed, the "updates available" was turned off...  so i guess i would
> have to do the dist upgrade from commandline
>
> > You can feel safe upgrading your desktop and laptop. I would recommend
> > upgrading those first to gain confidence with the upgrade process.
> I agree, except that I use these two systems for active business, so
> even here I would be treading into possibly fuzzy territory.  My first
> target (the lesser of evils) would be the laptop...
>
> >  I don't know what to say about the production server. Is it possible for
> > you to setup a second, temporary, server that you can use while you
> > upgrade the standard server? Just to serve as a fall-back position in
> > case anything goes wrong? (probably won't).
> Basically make a mirror of my production server on another box and
> perform the upgrade, test out the server apps (apache, ftp, ssh, all the
> ip addressing, dns, mail server, etc), and then do the same on the
> actual production server, then move all of that back onto the production
> system... i would have to have the backup server installed and
> implemented at the isp NOC... since I only have remote access to the
> production servers, I think that exercise would cost in the neighborhood
> of 5 to 600 US to do that...

I've been running Ubuntu 6.06 since the end of April (yes, it was still
being tested). I have not had any issues myself. Then again, I only have
a desktop.

I think the advice to maintain a backup during the upgrade is very good.
I have seen a few reports of equipment not able to work with this
version. I would especially watch for ATI video. that seems to be a big
issue on laptops.

good luck.

--
        Charlie