Dapper upgrade from Breezy

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Fri Jun 9 00:14:06 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-08 at 19:03 -0400, Me - Atlantic wrote:
> so, all of the traffic with upgrade problems is unsubstantiated?

No, but obviously people with problems are much more likely to post on a
mailing list to ask for help.

The probability of problems depends mainly on machine usage and user
knowledge: if you, for example, enabled 3rd-party repositories, forgot
to reinstall previously removed important metapackages, use otherwise
faulty upgrade procedures, or messed with your package database with
lots of curiosity but little knowledge, then you are likely to have some
problems. Or if you have bad luck.

If however you run a well-administered machine, you in all likelihood
won't have problems. Anyway, I would expect a production server to have
a backup server. If there is none, the uptime requirements can not be
very strict.

In the end however it comes down to this: what services does the machine
provide and would they benefit from an upgrade? I would be hard pressed
to say what a file server or mail server would do better as Dapper than
as Breezy.

If Dapper provides something you need which can not be achieved by other
means, such as backports, then by all means upgrade. I would however
still wait a while to let things shake out a bit, get a backup server
online, and provide for some coffee and free time for upgrade and
testing.

In 1 year IIRC Breezy's support ends, therefore you need an upgrade
strategy anyway.