Speed Up Ubuntu Deployment

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Thu Jun 8 12:23:46 UTC 2006

On Thursday 08 June 2006 14:09, Joel Bryan Juliano wrote:
> I'm using the old deployment trick, "dd", but It takes 4500+
> seconds to finish. Is there a way to make dd copy much faster?

Are hda and hdb on the same IDE channel as a master and slave? Doing
big read/write operation like that on the same cable will slow things
down a bit. Try rig it so the drives are on different channels and
see what you get

> I use # dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb bs=2M, I like to try setting 2M
> to higher values, would it change the speed of copying the whole
> hard drive?

Not really. Once the drive cache is full, it's full. There's then no
further point in trying to grab bigger blocks than that. Much better
to let the kernel do the buffering for you - it has lots of RAM to
play with

--
If only me, you and dead people understand hex,
how many people understand hex?

Alan McKinnon
alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za