Help help. eth0 is gone.

Michael Poole mdpoole at troilus.org
Thu Jun 8 12:33:57 UTC 2006

Daniel Carrera writes:

> I just upgraded to Dapper and now "eth0" is gone. This is a laptop.
>
> Ubuntu doesn't realize that I have an ethernet card. Is there a way to
> run the hardware configuration again or something?

I had a similar problem when the system started using /etc/iftab to
name network interfaces.  I'm not sure what the easiest way to fix it
is, but I used "ifconfig -a" to get the hardware addresses and edited
/etc/iftab to give them permanent names, like this:

  # This file assigns persistent names to network interfaces. See iftab(5).
  eth0 mac 01:23:45:67:89:ab
  eth mac  02:46:8a:ce:13:57

Michael Poole