Matrox G400 dual head monitor problem

Matthew Kuiken matt.kuiken at verizon.net
Thu Jun 8 04:30:41 UTC 2006

Ben Edwards wrote:
> Been trying to get my matrox G400 to work on dapper with both monitors
> for a while.  The below xorf.conf file is the furthest I have got.  My
> main monitor works but not the 2nd.  Any ideas?
>
> Ben

Wow, I'm surprised that xorg.conf even boots...

I'm going to throw out a few suggestions, but since I don't know your
video card, I may not be leading you down the right path.  Please keep
this in mind as you try these.

I have attached my multimonitor configuration xorg.conf for reference.
Note that I have a laptop with an i915 video card, so this information
may not apply to you.

My video card does two monitors without needing to have separate PCI
addresses called out in the Device sections for the different screens.
I notice that one of your videocard devices does not have a busid or a
screen number.  I think this needs to be added.  The i810 driver
required the "multimonitor" option, but your driver may not.

The file you attached also does not have a serverlayout section.  You
will need to add something that tells X which monitor is on which side,
and whether to clone, or use xinerama to stretch the desktop, or you can
just have two desktops by not using either option.

I hope my file gives you a few ideas for things to try.  This is one of
those things that you just need to keep trying different configurations
until you find one that works.  Be careful to keep good backups, because
you will be restoring X from the command line a lot during the process.

Just after I wrote this all up, I saw the other post by Blippe.  It
looks like you are going to have fun.  I'm still posting this, as I
believe that it contains good information that you might need once you
get a driver that works.

-Matt