help with corrupted lvm/RAID disk

Brant Fitzsimmons brant at bfcomputerconsulting.com
Thu Jun 8 02:34:29 UTC 2006

matt.price at utoronto.ca wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I had a wierd hard crash with amarok running & on the first reboot I
> had a dpkg error when installing/reinstalling some stuff.  On the next
> reboot gdm wouldn't start, ando n the third I couldn't log in even at
> the console.  I've tracked down my Ubuntu Dapper LiveCD and am trying
> torecover. but gparted crashes when I try to run it:
>
> debugreiserfs 3.6.19 (2003 www.namesys.com)
>

> debugreiserfs: can not open reiserfs on
> "/dev/mapper/Anarres--64--main-home1": No such file or directory
>

> /dev/mapper/Anarres--64--main-root1: No such file or directory
>
> fatal error -- couldn't initialize XFS library
>
> glibmm-ERROR **:
> unhandled exception (type std::exception) in signal handler:
> what: basic_string::substr
>
> aborting...
> Aborted
>
> -----------
> My main system is in an LVM Volume Group called Anarres-64-main, with
> two partitions:
> root:  the root system
> home: /home
>

> /boot is on a seperate partition.
>
> the LVM itself (Anarres-64-main) is itself running on top of a simple
> software RAID-1 that houses both root and home LV's.  The raid uses
> identical partitions on identical S-ATA disks...  but I actually don't
> know much about RAID and I don't know how to tell if there's some
> physical corruption causing the malfunction.
>
> Anyway,  my question:
>
> how, given that gparted crashes, can I fix this system?  And why is
> gparted talking about "-root1" and "-home1" when the names of the lv's
> are 'root' and 'home' respectively?
>
> ANyway, thanks,
>
> matt

gparted doesn't do LVM.  Hit the LVM howto
<http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/> for the command to diagnose
problems with LVM.

If you are unable to access any Volume Groups or Logical Volumes check
out this month's(?) Linux Journal for an article on restoring corrupt
LVM structures.

--
Brant Fitzsimmons
brant at bfcomputerconsulting.com
"Strange times are these in which we live when the old and the
young are taught falsehoods in the schools of learning. And the one
man that dares to tell the truth is called at once a lunatic and
a fool."
							-Plato