Upgrading Edubuntu to Dapper.

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Thu Jun 8 01:36:35 UTC 2006

On 06/06/07 19:32 (GMT-0400) Daniel Carrera apparently typed:

> I've been asked to upgrade an Edubuntu server tomorrow. This will be
> under a time constraint. To make it faster, I'd like to upgrade from the
> CDROM instead of downloading all the packages. The Dapper upgrade
> instructions say that the Alternate CD can do this:

> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DapperUpgrades

> However, I can't find an Alternate CD for Edubuntu. I'm wondering if I
> can just use the Ubuntu one and whether that would work. I expect that
> at a minimum 95% of the packages will be the same, so it should still
> save a lot of time. But I was hoping someone had more information than I do.

I did both my edubuntu systems using apt-get dist-upgrade:
http://help.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/desktopguide/C/manual-install.html#install-deb

It does take some time. One on a 350 MHz PII probably took more than 6
hours. The other on a PIII 500 I started late and let run overnight, so
don't really know the time it took. I'd guess with a fast connection and
machine it should be done in under 3 hours this way.
--
"All have sinned & fall short of the glory of God." Romans 3:23 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409