root has less menus

Josué Alcalde González josuealcalde at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 23:55:49 UTC 2006

El mié, 07-06-2006 a las 23:36 +0100, Daniel Carrera escribió:
> Kent Borg wrote:
> >> You don't need to login as root for that. Type 'sudo nautilus'.
> >
> > I didn't dare try that.  Figuring nautilus was too much a part of my
> > whole graphical environment, I feared it would get pissed having two
> > different users at once.  It actually works, you've done it?  (I still
> > assume that dragging between windows of different users is a bad idea.
> > Which user would my hand be??)
> It works if you don't drag and drop files from one window to another
> that is running as a different user. If you just select the file and hit
> "delete" it works. That moves the file to root's Trash. To see root's
> Trash when you're done, choose "Go >> Trash". Though I admit I can't
> figure out how to clear the trash from Nautilus.
>
> Moving files across different users would indeed be inadvisable. I just
> tried it out of curiosity. It looks like the permissions that count are
> the ones of the *destination* window. That's interesting.
I have done it many times and I haven't had any problems. Sometimes, it
does not allow you.
When you dnd you only dnd the uri of the files, not the files itself,
and it is the destination window which will do all the work to copy,
move ...

I have a launcher in my desktop in this way:
gksudo 'nautilus computer:///'
I sometimes need it, although I would prefer to be asked for password
when it is really needed.

> Cheers,
> Daniel.
> --
> "It's like a rainbow. Without an observer at a 23 degree angle to
> the light reflected a cloud of spherical droplets, there is no
> rainbow. The whole universe is like that. Our spirits stand at a
> 23 degree to the universe."  -- Zoya Boone, Red Mars

The problem with the menu is simple.
Ubuntu doesn't show admin applications when the user is not an admin
(because he can't sudo).
If root is not an admin user (a user in admin group) the applications
aren't shown.
Your first solution is a good solution, although you shouldn't use root
as everybody has already said.