xine can't find xvid, mpeg codecs

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Wed Jun 7 07:54:40 UTC 2006

On Wed, 7 Jun 2006 06:31:43 +0100
vgeneral <ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org> wrote:

> Downloading and installing the
> libxine-extracodecs_1.1.1+ubuntu1-2_i386.deb solved my inability to
> watch xvid.avi files.
>
> Follow the link in wvelez's post to down load the file listed above.

There is of course absolutely *no* need to "follow the link" and
"download" -

$ apt-cache show libxine-extracodecs | grep Filename

Filename: pool/multiverse/x/xine-extracodecs/libxine-extracodecs_1.1.1
+ubuntu1-2_i386.deb

The package is in multiverse - enable the universe and multiverse
repositories as recommended on the RestrictedFormats wiki page to make
this and many other packages available. See

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AddingRepositoriesHowto

Peter
--

"Hyperlinks subvert hierarchy."