Dapper on a PowerBook G3?

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 04:26:02 UTC 2006

On 6/5/06, Harold Johnson <harold.johnson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Looks like it's back to Ubuntu Server,
> which at least fits on my 2GB hard drive (whereas Ubuntu Server does not, so
> I'm fairly certain Ubuntu Desktop will not, either).

That sounds like a very frustratingly small drive! As you probably
know, the Wallstreet's drive is very easy to replace, and uses a
standard laptop drive... I have a 20-gig Fujitsu in mine to replace
the 4-gig IBM that came with it. HOWEVER before I attempt to upgrade
from Breezy to Dapper I will probably wipe the drive's partitions to
give myself more linux room... I have the HFS boot partition, plus the
EXT3 linux partition PLUS two HFS+ partitions with my Mac OS 9.2.2
"legacy" applications and data (that I use under MOL). As it stands,
there's no way I can compile a kernel....

Based on your difficulties, I wouldn't be surprised if you need a
custom kernel to get the things going. It may be as simple as
compiling in modules for your hardware. You might be able to get there
by installing and booting an older Ubuntu kernel as an option.

Here's an idea -- maybe a diff between a Breezy (or even Hoary) kernel
config file and the Dapper version might give you some ideas for what
modules they don't include anymore. You'll have to find a machine with
a drive big enough to compile yours, but custom kernel may be the best
option.

You might also have a look at the relevant Debian oldworld
installation and config file...  Some Debian folks seem committed to
keeping the oldworlds bootable, even as Ubuntu can't support them
anymore.