Ubuntu Desktop Starter Guide

Loïc Martin lomartin3 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 18:26:19 UTC 2006

Felix Miata a écrit :
> On 06/06/06 10:31 (GMT-0400) Matthew East apparently typed:
>

>> These guides are available in HTML and PDF form from the documentation
>> website at http://help.ubuntu.com
>>

>> The PDFs on that website work fine in evince and any other pdf reader.
>>

> There is no such thing as a PDF that works fine. They are a scourge on
> internet users: http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20030714.html

The page you links to seems quite biased. I do like pdf, the only one I
have a grip with are encoded pdf (the ones you can't copy/paste from).
Apparently the author doesn't know it's perfectly possible to have pdf
you can copy/paste from (or tries to hide it, which is worse).

For some material (in fact, for most of the materials I use) pdf are far
better, even on a screen. When I'm reading a book an interesting essay,
manual or article (the kind that is written well enough you don't have
to skip boring parts), I find it easier to the eyes (thanks to usually
better smoothing, but also because most html sites are a pain to read,
with useless frames or presentation, not to say the omnipresent  flash
or publicities).

I've got a screen with a high dpi setting, and most sites don't scale
well when you increase the font site. I don't have this problem with pdf.

When I want to edit, it's easier to copy/paste from a pdf file than from
an insane web page (and faster too).

So, although html is great for some uses, it doesn't covers everything.
The author of the page you links to is either sponsored by certain pdf
adversaries (M******** anybody)? OR doesn't have a wide and diversified
use of his computer and the internet.