Easy way to get (recursive) dependency tree ?

patraulea ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Mon Jun 5 21:17:38 UTC 2006

Florian Diesch Wrote:

> > In case you're still reading and can spare a hint, I'd really like

> > hear what an easy way to get a dependency tree (yes, like Gentoo's

> > emerge -pt) is.

> How does the output of emerge -pt look like? IMHO it's really
> difficult

> to display a big dependcy graph (it's not necessary a tree) like

> e.g. between gnome-desktop-environment and libc6

It looks simply like this ...

gnome-desktop-envirnonment

..gnome-core

....gtk

......libc6

......glib

....nautilus

[...]

... and it's pretty useful because I can figure out where the need for
glib comes from by looking up.

(note that nautilus also needs gtk but gtk only shows up the first time
it's needed, so the output looks like a tree. I think the dependencies
form a DAG anyway.)

Thanks for the answers,

Bogdan

--