Removing an app without losing data

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Mon Jun 5 14:07:20 UTC 2006

On Mon, 05 Jun 2006 08:42:15 -0500
Wade Smart <wade at wadesmart.com> wrote:

> If I uninstall Thunderbird, will I loose the ./mozilla-thunderbird
> directory or will that be left alone?

Uninstalling an app won't touch user preferences and settings in those dot
files - so no, ~/.mozilla-thunderbird won't disappear

However, uninstalling normally *will* leave your system-wide config in
place. To clean that out you use the --purge option:

sudo apt-get remove --purge <nameofpackage>

If you are really paranoid you can always back up your user config to
something like ~/.mozilla-thunderbird.myconfig , but I assure you the
uninstall process won't touch user settings.

Peter
--

"Hyperlinks subvert hierarchy."

-The Cluetrain Manifesto