XGL + Opengl + Multimedia possible ?

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Mon Jun 5 13:41:07 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-05 at 14:34 +0200, Lea Gris wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Everything work nicely with non-xgl regular Xorg server.
>
> XGL look nice but I couldn't get Opengl Applications working with XGL
> server and video playback is very bad.
> Opengl applications freeze or crash.
> Any attemp tu play movies of any kind (DVD, mpeg...) gives very poor
> performances and often crashes.
>
> Are there some settings to fix this?

Well, Xgl is alpha software, you can't possibly expect it to work
flawlessly, never mind do so on each and every hardware configuration
that's out there. Right now it's more "proof of concept" than a finished
product.
The cure ? Simple... wait a year a or two for Xgl to improve, and by
that time, maybe Xgl will be obsolete and the community will have
favoured Aiglx instead... or whatever else might have appeared in the
meantime ! :o)

--
Vince