So... what's a runlevel?

James Diehl jms_diehl at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 5 12:46:15 UTC 2006

To my understanding, the run level designates a certain type of process that is running, or can be run.  In Fedora, the CLI of the X Window system is run-level 3, and the GUI is run-level 5.  If you open a terminal and startx the X system, check the run levels, it should should 5 in the personal settings; for GUI.  If you change it to 3, and restart the system,  you have CLI only.
 Diehl, James

"Michael T. Richter" <ttmrichter at gmail.com> wrote:         OK, I'm seeing references to "runlevels" abounding here and there, but I really don't know what one of those is.  The man page for runlevel(8) isn't particularly helpful.  Is there some succinct reference to what runlevels are, what they mean and why I might change them?

    --
 Michael T. Richter
 Email: ttmrichter at gmail.com, mtr1966 at hotpop.com
 MSN: ttmrichter at hotmail.com, mtr1966 at hotmail.com; YIM: michael_richter_1966; AIM: YanJiahua1966; ICQ: 241960658; Jabber: mtr1966 at jabber.cn

 "I have never seen the poor people being so familiar with their heads of state as they were with [Michele Duvalier]. It was a beautiful lesson for me. I've learned something from it." --Mother Theresa    --
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com