Advice on Partitions for Multiboot

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Sun Jun 4 23:41:38 UTC 2006

On Sunday 04 June 2006 06:20, Felix Miata wrote:
> I have 17 functional puters. Most have multiboot with at least 1
> DOS and/or windoze, 1 or more OS/2, and up to 6 Linux.
>
> I always put a small ext2 on xda3 and/or xda5 for /boot for
> whichever Linux / I install on xda7 (xda6 is swap). Additional
> Linux each get grub installed to their respective / partitions. I
> never put grub on the MBR.

This is by far the easiest solution for non-experts in grub. It's not
the most convenient but it's the one that causes least hassle.

I often have 6 or more distros on this machine - at one point I had 9
- and I run them all off a common copy of grub with a single /boot
for all. I still get caught out with some distros which don't give me
complete control over where grub goes. So even though this is the
best solution for me, I definitely wouldn't recommend it to anyone
but the very brave.

--
If only me, you and dead people understand hex,
how many people understand hex?

Alan McKinnon
alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za