apt bug in install

Matthew Kuiken matt.kuiken at verizon.net
Sun Jun 4 17:05:45 UTC 2006

suse at rio.vg wrote:
> ben wrote:
>> On Saturday 03 June 2006 04:11, ubuntu at rio.vg wrote:
>>> I tracked the problem to /etc/apt/apt.conf, which had
>>> 'Acquire::http::Proxy "false";'  This meant, as far as I can tell,
>>> meant
>>> that apt was trying to connect to "false" and proxy through it.
>>> Removing the line solved the issue.
>>
>> i've had the same problem and it has only been present since dapper
>> RC-1, and doesnt occur when dist-upgrading, the line was changed from
>>
>> Acquire::::Proxy "false";
>> Acquire::http::Proxy "false";
>>
>> which worked fine for me connecting to the normal repo's but only
>> gave issues when connecting to my apt-proxy server, changing it back
>> works fine just disappointing it was changed so late and then wasn't
>> able to be fixed in time for the release.
>>

> Yeah, I just posted it to the list, since I've just started using
> Ubuntu and didn't know where to send it to let the developers know
> that Dapper's installer is putting the bogus entry in apt.conf and
> needs to be fixed...

https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+filebug

Using launchpad will not only ensure that a developer sees the issue, it
will make sure the bug is tracked to closure.  Please file a bug on the
apt package with your description of the error, and what you did to work
around it.

Please remember to search launchpad before filing a bug in order to see
if you can find the bug already reported.

In this case,
https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/apt/+bug/47044
appears to be the same bug; however, there is very little information
there.  If you could add your descriptions of the problem and the
workarounds you created, it would probably help this bug get fixed faster.

Thanks,
-Matt