Dapper upgrade: Couldn't stat source package list cdrom

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Sun Jun 4 13:54:19 UTC 2006

On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 05:44:26 -0500
Tom Vawter <tvawter at austincc.edu> wrote:

[snip]

> Failed to fetch cdrom:[Ubuntu 6.06 _Dapper Drake_ - Release powerpc
> (20051012)]/dists/dapper/main/binary-powerpc/Packages.gz  Please use
> apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot
> be used to add new CD-ROMs
> I am not sure about using "apt-cdrom".  Can anyone please tell me what I
> need to do to finish the upgrade?

Looks like you originally installed from the breezy CD and used the
updater, which changed the CD designation from breezy to dapper

(1) If you don't have a 6.06 CD around, then just open the sources file
thus:

 gksudo "gedit /etc/apt/sources.list"

and either remove the CD ROM entry at the top of that file, or simply
comment it out by puting a # mark at the beginning of that line.

Then run

sudo apt-get update

and you should be OK to install things, or in your case to finish your
upgrade with

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

If that spits out errors, try running

sudo apt-get -f install

You might need to repeat those last two if the system has become confused
by the interruption.

(2) Alternatively, if you have an up-to-date 6.06 LTS CD ( "final", June
1st copy, not beta or rc) , comment out or remove the line as described
above, then you can type

sudo apt-cdrom add

and the system will prompt you to insert the new CD, scan it and add it to
your sources.

If you have a decent Internet connection, I suggest the first strategy of
getting rid of your CD line in the sources.list file as above at (1) .

In either case it's important to do the "sudo apt-get update" step so as to
let the system know you have changed the list of available software. then
you can proceed with "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade"

Peter

 --

"Hyperlinks subvert hierarchy."

-The Cluetrain Manifesto