External Hard Drive with Ubuntu 5.1

Ian Kabeary omega21 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 4 00:40:32 UTC 2006

Thanks for the reply, but I have gotten past that step.
As I said in the 2nd email I sent in, it says that it is unable to mount
the root partition. On IRC, the little help I did recieve suggested
something
about USB services loading later on. I have no idea what that means. :)
Any thoughts?
Thanks so much!
~Ian

On 6/3/06, Gary W. Swearingen <garys at opusnet.com> wrote:

> "Ian Kabeary" <omega21 at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hi there,
> > I was wanting to play around with Ubuntu, without removing Gentoo or
> > Windows. I put it onto my external USB hard drive,
> > and installed grub to /dev/sda. Im not sure if my laptop (Toshiba
> Satellite
> > A70) supports booting from USB, so I was wondering
> > if I could add something to my grub.conf file for the installation grub
> has
> > on my MBR so that it would boot my external USB?
>
> Learn to run the grub boot loader from its command line.  That is,
> when it presents it's menu, you switch into command mode, and request
> help.  You have to learn how it designates disks, partitions, etc.
> It's handy, because you can, say, set the "root" disk, and then type
> "file " followed by a "/" and then hit the tab key, and it will show
> you all the files in the root directory of the root disk you set.  And
> hitting "tab" whild setting the root disk will show you all of the
> disks that you can set (ie, that grub can boot from).

Cheers,
Ian