Trouble with X on mac

Jason C. ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Sat Jun 3 22:27:52 UTC 2006

Hello all,

I have been using Breezy on my Powerbook at work and was excited to
install Linux on my mac at home.  Unfortunately I am having problems
getting the X windows server up and running.  My hardware is a G4 Cube
with a Rage ATI 128 Pro card and a Apple Studio Display 17" (LCD)
connected throught the Apple Display Connector.  After installing
Breezy, X tries to start but fails on the error "Cannot read V_BIOS."
After some searching on the web I found that many people have solved
this problem by using the Option "FBDev" in the  x config file.  Sadly,
this option causes framebuffering errors and the X server tells me
"Screens found, but none have a usable configuration" (I can post the
entire X log file if it is necessary).  After Googling these errors I
find that the solution to this is to turn FBDev off.  So I am at a
catch 22 .  Any help with this problem is greatly appreciated.  I was
very excited to start using Linux and now my experiment is failing,
leaving me with Mac OS X :(

--
Jason C.