Package/Build-From-Source Management

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Sat Jun 3 18:45:23 UTC 2006

Hi,

I often need to download, build, and install software from source, but
when I do, the package management system doesn't know about the new
software.  Can anyone tell me how to properly manage things so
built-from-source software doesn't mess up the package manager?

Another thing that worries me is that in practice several package
management systems might be in use at any time.  For example, Intel's
C++ compiler is only distributed as an RPM.  How should I manage the
interaction among these different systems?

Any pointers much appreciated

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting